Music, Style, Entertainment, Culture...

If you come to fame not understanding who you are, it will define who you are. -Oprah Winfrey

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

If You Got Soul Let The World Know!

When I Think of Philadelphia one of the first things that come to mind is not the Philly Cheesesteak, not the liberty bell, not Rittenhouse Square, South Street, or The Philadelphia Museum of Art. I think of the sound. Yes, Philadelphia Soul Music, nothing is better. The sound of Philadelphia can be traced back to the colonial days, but nothing has stuck like the sound created by Philadelphia International Records. Founded by legends Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff in the early 1970's Philadelphia soul music took and has yet to slow down. With artist from the late great Teddy Pendergrass and Phyllis Hyman, Patti Labelle to, Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild, The Roots, Jazmine Sullivan and most recent upcoming soul singer taragirl.

Growing up in northern New Jersey, with the encouragement of her father taragirl began singing at the age of six. After four years at New York University she made her way to Philadelphia and has been blowing down local Philly spots every since. Influenced by our forefathers and mothers of soul music Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Dinah Washington, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and Lauryn Hill. Taragirl is the voice and the pen, singing and songwriting. In my opinion she can easily be compared to a young Teena Marie or Joss Stone.


Addikted2Fame: For our readers that aren't familiar wit your music explain your sound in 5 words?

Taragirl: Fresh, soulful, sassy, emotional, melodic

Addikted2Fame: I see you write your own music, where do you draw inspiration from when you write songs and what's your favorite part about the process?

Taragirl: Songwriting is a great outlet for all of the really great and really messed up things that happen to you. My emotions usually build up to the point of release and whatever the issue, it'll come out in the song. I was writing lyrics before I even considered myself a songwriter; in the beginning I didn't think I had what it takes, but its all just storytelling, in the end. Relationships, break-ups, grief, hope, frustration, my feelings, towards Philly- I've used all of these for songs at one point or another. I think my favorite part is arranging.  I like when the bulk of the piece is written and now you play with where to put what when and cool vocal transitions, harmonies, etc... That stuff is fun to me.


Addikted2Fame: Everyone talks about the ups of the beginning in the industry , what do you find are some of the hardships of the music industry?

Taragirl: There's a new song that I've yet to record called "Shoutin at the Wall" and that, to me summarizes my feelings towards the music industry right now. I feel like I have so much to offer and I'm putting it down on stage working on my records my promotion etc...basically jumping up and down saying "hey world! Check me out! Listen to What I Gotta Say!" and as far as the industry is concerned nobody really cares. Now don't get me, I know my fans care - a lot. And each and every listener I gain cares. But, I'm the type of artist that really wants to take this thing to a higher level, expand my audience and the industry isn't really in tune with good, quality artist anymore. They're signing 3 acts every year and that's it. And most of what they put out is crap. Straight up crap.


Addikted2Fame: What do you want your listeners to get from your music?

Taragirl: To me connecting with music fans is the whole point to music as an art form. Music is the closest thing we have to a universal language. All of my songs are from an autobiographical standpoint and I always hope that my listeners can relate to the situations and feelings that I've experienced through lyrics and the emotion in my voice. I also like to concentrate on material that is uplifting or has a positive vibe to it. I have some songs that talk honestly about the end of a relationship like "Voicemail" but in general I like to keep my message hopeful.


Addikted2Fame: If you could work with or go open up for any artist on tour right now who would it be?

Taragirl: I would love to open up for Jazmine Sullivan or Katy Perry. Even though they're both different types of artist, I think I hit like this cross section of their audiences and they would really  dif some taragirl. I think Pink would be a pretty awesome person to collaborate with on a record and there's this artist/producer Novel who I would love to work with. Holla!Lol :)

-Shaquane D.

No comments:

Post a Comment