Music, Style, Entertainment, Culture...

If you come to fame not understanding who you are, it will define who you are. -Oprah Winfrey

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

People Fueled and Shocked By Guru's Farewell Letter.

One of the first thing's I heard when I woke up this morning was that Guru had passed away. Shocked, I logged onto my twitter and immediately my time line was filled R.I.P. Guru and Gangstarr quotes. A farewell letter that Guru wrote before he died to his fans has the hip hop world going crazy. In the letter he dismissed his former partner DJ Premier and said that he didn't want any association with him even in death. He also revealed that he has been beaten by cancer and gave praise to Solar. A lot of people are refusing to believe


"In the letter, Premier is not even referred to by name, but expresses the wish that Guru's "ex-DJ" not have anything to do with "my name likeness, events, tributes etc. connected in anyway to my situation including any use of my name or circumstance for any reason and I have instructed my lawyers to enforce this. I had nothing to do with him in life for over 7 years and want nothing to do with him in death. Solar has my life story and is well informed on my family situation, as well as the real reason for separating from my ex-DJ."
In addition to showering praise on the MC (born Keith Elam), a number of commenters expressed their concern that the posthumous letter from Guru's partner, Solar, supplied by a PR firm handling press inquiries about the rapper's health, was suspect.

"The Guru 'farewell' letter reeks of fakeness," wrote Rob, who said he found it hard to believe that Guru was so bitter in death that he would go out of his way to diss his longtime music compatriot Premier. A spokesperson for the PR company that distributed the letter said it was submitted by Solar and approved by Guru and Solar.

"No real fan of Gang Starr is going to believe this letter!," said Louis. "It sounds like something that was written between Solar and his lawyers while Guru laid in bed unable to write or speak. It sounds more to me like a letter bragging about Solar than about Guru's personal legacy. How can you not want Premier to be involved in the death of Guru?"
In the end, though, they were mostly just sad that the world had lost such a gifted lyricist.

Sad day in hip-hop despite the letter we lost a great man. RIP.

I also ran across this video old video of Young Guru talking about the beef between him and Guru and all the respect he had for him.


Around the 2:50 mark.  

Gang Starr's Guru: A Life In Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment